Skip to main content

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

(303) 268-2867

Types Of Damages In Colorado Court Cases

Posted October 05, 2022 in Uncategorized

When you are a victim of some kind of accident, incident, or breach, and it’s caused by another person’s negligent or intentional act, you may be entitled to compensation in the form of damages. Damages is a legal term to represent the sum of money you deserve for any property damage, bodily injury, economic loss, breach of contract, and any costs related to these things. It’s the way the legal system tries to make you “whole again” even though in many cases you will never be the same. That said, damages can help relieve financial stress and help people get their lives back on track.


Damages can be categorized as two types:

  1. Compensatory, which are economic and non-economic damages meant to reimburse you for all expenses and costs associated with the injury or breach.
  2. Punitive, which are damages meant to punish the wrongdoer for their reckless or malicious actions or inaction.

Compensatory damages are the most common and are typically available in most personal injury, property damage and wrongful death claims. The amount and extent of compensatory damages, especially with regard to non-economic damages, depends on the extent and nature of the injury and the impact that injury has on the victim’s quality of life or the lives of the victim’s family. Punitive damages, on the other hand, are rare and limited by statute when available.


Economic damages, also referred to as special damages, are those that are relatively easy to translate into dollars. They include bills and receipts that the victim accumulates after the accident.

Economic damages consist of (but are not limited to):

  • Property repairs
  • Property replacement
  • Medical bills
  • Household expenses
  • Transportation costs
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of earning capacity, especially after a severe accident that impairs the victim’s ability to function normally

You should keep all receipts, invoices, pay stubs, and other proof of expenses. In some cases, like proving reduced earning capacity, expert testimony may be needed.


Non-economic damages, sometimes called general damages, are damages not easily stated in a dollar amount. Collectively, they are referred to as pain and suffering because these damages consider the physical pain, emotional distress, and mental trauma that severe injuries create.

Non-economic damages can include:

  • Physical pain
  • Emotional suffering
  • Mental anguish
  • Loss of reputation
  • Loss of consortium
  • Loss of enjoyment of life

Proving these types of losses include testimony from the victim, lay witnesses like friends and family, and expert witnesses like mental health practitioner(s).


Punitive damages, also known as exemplary damages, do not compensate the victim but are awarded when the court wants to punish the defendant. Courts rarely award punitive damages, except in cases where the defendant’s actions were so egregious that this type of punishment is necessary to deter future similar behavior. These damages are seen in cases involving fraud, malicious conduct, and willful and wanton conduct.

Punitive damages can be high relative to economic and non-economic damages but are often limited by state law.


In pretty much every situation where you are injured or a wrong was done to you, and it is caused by another person or entity’s action or omission, you may be able to seek damages. The wrongdoer, however, must have owed a duty to you in tort law, or some kind of performance in contract law.

Common examples of when you may be able to seek damages include:

  • Auto accidents, where another motorist caused the accident
  • Slip or trip and fall accidents, where the property or business owner owed a duty to maintain safe premises
  • Accidents resulting from inadequate security, where the property or business owner failed to maintain adequate security when they should have
  • Other premises liability cases where a property owner, business owner, homeowner, occupier, or renter owed a duty to invitees, licensees, or, in some cases, trespassers but breached that duty of care
  • Dog bites or dog attacks where dog owners or dog sitters failed to maintain or protect others from their dogs
  • Medical malpractice cases where medical professionals or medical facilities failed to uphold their specific duties of care to their patients
  • Nursing homes and caregivers who breach their duties of care to their patient
  • Breach of Contract or Breach of Warranty
  • Defective Construction

These are, of course, only some of the most common types of situations or relationships where, if an injury results from a breach of duty, the injured party may be able to claim damages. If you have been injured, it is always in your best interests to speak to a lawyer about the extent of your damages.


You need an attorney as soon as possible if you want to seek any amount of damages for an injury to yourself or your property, or a breach of an agreement.

If you have been damaged by someone else’s behavior or breach, then timing is critical. Colorado Statutes of Limitations may well limit when you can bring your claim. The typical range to file a claim or lawsuit is between one to three years, but there are exceptions.

The only way to know for sure if you have a case, the value of that case, and how long you have to negotiate and/or file a lawsuit is through the help of an experienced attorney in Colorado.


To get the representation you need so that you obtain full and fair compensation for all damages in your specific circumstances, reach out to Volpe Law today to schedule a consultation. We can be contacted through our online form or call us directly at 303-268-2867 . Our team of dedicated attorneys are here to listen to your case and identify the best legal options for you.


The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be construed as providing legal advice on any subject matter.  Laws frequently change and therefore this content is not necessarily up to date, nor comprehensive. Contact us or another attorney with any legal questions specific to your matter. You may request a consultation by calling us as 303-268-2867 or completing a consultation request form.

Contact Us Today

Volpe Law is committed to answering your questions about Civil Litigation, Real Estate, Construction, Business Litigation, Breach of Contract, Tort Litigation, Mechanics’ Liens, and Contract Review & Drafting in Colorado.

We offer a Free Consultation and we’ll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to request an appointment with one of our attorneys.

Office Location

Directions to Volpe Law

19751 E. Mainstreet, #342
Parker, CO 80138

Phone: (303) 268-2867

Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm

The material on this site and on any third-party web site link included on the Volpe Law, LLC website is for informational purposes only. Nothing on this website may be construed as legal advice. Laws frequently change and therefore this content is not necessarily up to date, nor comprehensive. Contact us or another attorney with any legal questions specific to your matter. You may request a consultation by calling us at 303-268-2867 or completing a consultation request form. Using this website, filling out any forms, or communicating with Volpe Law, LLC through this site does not form an attorney/client relationship. Your matter may be subject to time limitations. You may be barred from taking any action if you do not timely act. Using or interacting with this website does not constitute your reliance on Volpe Law, LLC to take any action to represent you or preserve any claim that you may have or may assert. Please see Terms of Use for further information.